Friday, September 19, 2008

The Shack!!

Ok so I am behind everyone else on reading the Shack but just remember I have 3 kids, one of which is 3 and is a boy which means he is into destroying anything that he comes in contact with so reading becomes very little while he is awake.

Now, about the book. I absolutely loved it. I laughed but mostly cried through most of it. This book changed my thinking in many ways. The part that spoke to me the most was when he was meeting with Jesus on the docks and Jesus told Mac he would have to walk on water with him to get to the other side where they were going. The fear Mac had subsided the minute his feet hit the water and he didn't sink. That spoke volumes to me simply because I feel that is what God is asking of my husband and myself. He wants us to have enough faith to step off the dock onto the water. To cast our fears aside and step out on faith and see that he is right there beside us walking with us so that we will not drown. WOW!

The other part that I loved was the picture of seeing Missy, his daughter, playing and skipping rocks and Jesus being right there in the middle of all of his kids. What a beautiful picture. That is the picture I want as a parent to remain in my head. We try so hard to protect our children from danger. But, all along God is with them, playing with them, walking with them and taking care of them. I will always fail as a parent. But thanks to the mercy and goodness of God he steps in and takes over for us and becomes the parents that we sometimes can't be. Not only is it a beautiful picture of Jesus with the children, our chidren, but it is a picture of Jesus with us. We are to come to him like a child, his child, and run into his arms and feel the love and the joy that He wants us to experience when we are smack dab in the middle of his love and his will.

This book was great for me and am so glad I read it. Yes, there were a few things that I questioned about the book that I was unsure of biblically. But, I believe God allowed me to read and understand the parts He wanted me to and all the rest he will strike from my mind if it is not of him or if it is unnecessary for me to understand.

So, this summer I have read 2 books. For me that is great. I am not a reader nor do I really have time to read but these 2 books were books that God placed in my path and had me read. I have shared these books with others and they have been blessed by them.

Book #1- Reedeming Love- a novel about the story of Hosea, and the prostitute. A wonderful book about how much God loves us and how he continues to redeem his bride.

Book #2- The Shack- a novel about a man who takes a journey back to the shack and how this journey is a journey of healing and re-turning back to God.

Hope you are able to take the time to read these books and if there are any great books out there like these then please tell me about them. I am hungry for more. I guess you could say that I have become a reader of more than just college books.

No comments: